Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heres my ps for you all to look at
Since ive finnished my personal statement and sent of and got offers back I thought i would share it with people who will be applying next year as i found looking at other peoples very helpful. Its a joint business and computing type personal statement that has got me offers for both areas individually and together.

-------------

Computing has always had a profound influence on my life. The internet and mobile communications have revolutionised every aspect of modern day society and their potential future development intrigues me enormously. Business organisation and management also interest me and I have recently become involved with more commercially oriented business activities through my schools connections as a business and Enterprise college. I therefore believe that my future lies in a computing and business related degree course and career path.

My interest in computers was sparked when I first discovered online interactive media, I was keen to discover how the fusion of images and interaction had been created using programming. After some research I began experimenting with web authoring software and asp, eventually progressing to Macromedia Flash. One of my first creations was a computerised flash card system that I used to revise with successfully. More recently I have used my web development skills to create a website that utilises similar technology to that of social networking sites such as U-Tube. The site allows developers to submit Flash files, movies and images whilst users can comment and rank the submissions. Marketing skills learnt in Business Studies have enabled me to significantly increase traffic and I now run the website on my own server. A year ago I was given an opportunity to use my skills in a work environment. I helped develop some flash content for a web based PSHE learning website prototype called “PET” (personal evaluation tool) that has now received investment from Vodafone. Later this year I will be going to a conference in Birmingham to help market the product. I have also built small scale websites for organisations ranging from local bands to a property rental business using html, Access, asp and Flash, again combining management and computing skills to develop a customised product using real customer input. To improve my practical business skills I have attended a KPMG management training course and an Oracle leadership course, both courses involved teamwork and organisation skills to finish tasks and compete against other teams.

Apart from computing I have many other interests, in particular, rugby where I was selected for Berkshire three years in a row, play regularly for ------ Colts and train with -------- mens team, a South West division one team. Rugby is a passionate interest that I wish to take forward into my future university.

I am also a qualified lifeguard and work for a local leisure centre. There is a lot of responsibility with the job as it requires concentration and maturity to avoid life threatening situations. To gain my lifeguard qualification I completed a week’s intensive course. It encouraged good communication and teamwork skills to complete. I have many other hobbies such as playing the acoustic guitar, going to the gym, swimming and teaching local primary school children rugby, again this involved good communication skills and this summer I gained a PADI Open Water diving qualification. I am also involved in supporting general school activities through my position as a school prefect. These roles require leadership and maturity as well as good communication skills to demonstrate and control activities in potentially dangerous sports such as rugby and diving.

Overall I believe that studying a computing and business related degree will provide me with a path to the future employment I want. I have a strong personal interest in both subject areas and am always trying to build on my knowledge and find new ways of using skills. I hope that I could give a lot back to the university through sport, social involvement and research.
----------------

Offers i gained were from
Bath
Southampton
Nottingham
Kent
Surrey
Kingston

I hope this helps someone out there, feel free to comment on it!
Hi, thanks for putting your personal statement up - people do find them useful. Soon you'll be able to submit your personal statements to our main personal statement site at www.studential.com - I'll let you know when this happens.