Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stuck on introduction
I read that you should try to avoid having literary quotes in your personal statement, and as such, am having a difficult time trying to come up with how I should open up with the essay. Don't know how to jump in without a quote as an opener Sad Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and advice.
It's difficult to know what to put without knowing a bit more about your statement. It's good if you can start with something attention grabbing - maybe a really good reason for why you're interested in your subject or some kind of observation related to it. If it dosn't take up too much space and you can use it to lead onto something interesting you could always use it anyway. Tell us a bit more about your ps and what quote you were thinking of using and we might be able to help
Thank you for the reply.

I am applying for the MA program in History of Art and was thinking about using a related quote from the field, or a quote from one of my favorite artist's that has to do with the notion of self-discovery and being able to actualize one's goals. I'm just experiencing writer's block at the moment and having a challenging time thinking of something else that would be attention grabbing for the reader. Especially since I don't consider myself to have had any profound life experiences :-/. Well, apart from my travels in and around Europe and visiting the museums there (I currently reside in the states). I have a very rough rough rough draft of my PS, which are just my general thoughts reflected in print. I just don't want to come off sounding pretentious, corny or too "autobiographical" in the statement (see I have a degree in Psychology from a uni here, but after graduating and getting work experience in that field, I discoverd it's just not something that I wanted to pursue a profession in long term and that I should follow my own interests, instead of my parents' wishes for my future which dealt with pursuing a career in the medical field). It's just a bid odd, if this had been an assignment on any other topic, it would have been best completed by now, but writing about one's self has made me hit a road block so to speak. Excuse the ramblings, it appears I'm venting my frustrations now :-/.
it's not advisable to use quotes in a personal statement?!

I think it more depends on what you do with the quote that matters. Ive seen quite a few PS' from successful Oxbridge applicants that open with quotes. It seems to be the key is to then fully explain why you opened with the quote and what it means to you. If your quote really is relevant and you empathise with it then use it, but make your feelings known!
thanks a lot for that!
Quote:I think it more depends on what you do with the quote that matters. Ive seen quite a few PS' from successful Oxbridge applicants that open with quotes. It seems to be the key is to then fully explain why you opened with the quote and what it means to you. If your quote really is relevant and you empathise with it then use it, but make your feelings known!

I don't know of anyone who quoted when they opened their PS... I certainly didn't. You don't want really want to use a cliched quote lots of other applicants will use to; you might be better off just saying "I really want to study blah" but more interestingly phrased Toungue