Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tricky...excuses...help! (loooong post, sorry)
so bassically this is my problem...I applied and got into a fine art course last year and started it last september....I lasted a month and dropped out, bassically because Ive been "unwell" of sorts - for the past 5 years or so I have been battling with anorexia and lets just say going to uni didnt help me very much and i relapsed for the umpteenth time.

ANYWAY...now im dying to go to university again and want to start applying for 2007 but i just dont know how to explain my 2 years of doing sod all...ive also changed my mind on what course i want to do and am going to apply for illustration because having had time to develop personally I think it suits me more being a lot less pretentious and less pressure

bassically, im trying to articulate some intellegent excuse as to why ive taken all this time off, its not as if ive been climbing a career ladder or anything. granted i have been helping out with sorting out my dads business and estate (he passed away the april before i went to uni) but i cant really put that because they will think im playing on it or something.

also, as i havent been in education for a while i have no tutors to ask advice from and ive tried contacting my old lecturers but typically, all three of them have quit (so no reference either!)

sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me any advice or help on how to go about this and how to manipulate things to my advantage! Id hate for anyone to think im flaky and that Im just applying because i dont know what else to do because this is not the case at all

cheers

amy
Although some people would use your situation as an excuse for sympathy, you don't have to. Explaining it like you did on here, reasonably briefly, gives a better explanation than none or a lie.
Your strong to have got through a tough year, lots of people would have dropped out and dossed about, at least you want to sort your life out. You weren't ready then for uni but you are now.
Hope this helps
x
(Sorry for the length but need help)!!!

Hey - I am sorry to hear about what must have been a terrible time for you - you're not alone. I have a similar problem in the "lost 2 years" thing and desperately need advice.

For the past 3 yrs I've suffered from severe clinical depression. Anyone who's ever had it seriously will know how incapable it renders you. I missed most of my final year because of it(I got As for AS and predicted 3 grade As at A2). I applied for History and got into fantastic unis but had a total nervous breakdown b4 exams and took an overdose, not taking my A2s. The next year was tough; my doctor wouldn't put me on medication and said it was "just a phase". I also (stupidly) decided to self-study w/out college, even though I was fragile and prob needed the guidance. I applied again - great offers, inc. LSE. I even forced myself to get 6 weeks' travelling experience. Although I was highly motivated, I didn't take my exams again, having a breakdown because of the immense stress I put myself under and the fact I had no medication or counselling, which had made my condition progressively worse. By this time my depression was at an all-time low and I went into a clinic. 6 months on I'm on medication (unbelievable difference); I'm at a new college, made stacks of friends, learning a new language and am proving that I can complete my A2s and get on with my life.

However, I've got new issues whilst doing my PS: I think to myself: "what uni will want me having not taken my exams for 2 years? will they think I've deliberately messed them around?" I fear that they'll think that I'm a 'nutter' due to misconceptions about clinical depression. I also have no idea how I can explain this catalogue of events without appearing to milk sympathy. Similarly, I want to be really honest, but don't want to put them off.
Help would be appreciated!!!