Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tricky...excuses...help! (loooong post, sorry)
(Sorry for the length but need help)!!!

Hey - I am sorry to hear about what must have been a terrible time for you - you're not alone. I have a similar problem in the "lost 2 years" thing and desperately need advice.

For the past 3 yrs I've suffered from severe clinical depression. Anyone who's ever had it seriously will know how incapable it renders you. I missed most of my final year because of it(I got As for AS and predicted 3 grade As at A2). I applied for History and got into fantastic unis but had a total nervous breakdown b4 exams and took an overdose, not taking my A2s. The next year was tough; my doctor wouldn't put me on medication and said it was "just a phase". I also (stupidly) decided to self-study w/out college, even though I was fragile and prob needed the guidance. I applied again - great offers, inc. LSE. I even forced myself to get 6 weeks' travelling experience. Although I was highly motivated, I didn't take my exams again, having a breakdown because of the immense stress I put myself under and the fact I had no medication or counselling, which had made my condition progressively worse. By this time my depression was at an all-time low and I went into a clinic. 6 months on I'm on medication (unbelievable difference); I'm at a new college, made stacks of friends, learning a new language and am proving that I can complete my A2s and get on with my life.

However, I've got new issues whilst doing my PS: I think to myself: "what uni will want me having not taken my exams for 2 years? will they think I've deliberately messed them around?" I fear that they'll think that I'm a 'nutter' due to misconceptions about clinical depression. I also have no idea how I can explain this catalogue of events without appearing to milk sympathy. Similarly, I want to be really honest, but don't want to put them off.
Help would be appreciated!!!

Messages In This Thread
tricky...excuses...help! (loooong post, sorry) - by Guest - 20/10/2006, 01:14 AM
RE: tricky...excuses...help! (loooong post, sorry) - by Guest - 05/11/2006, 08:11 PM