Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
journalism personal statement need your help please
I have for as long as I can remember had a fascination with people and different cultures which has manifested itself the areas of work I have chosen during my time in travel, a national advertising company and at the filming company the aspects of these jobs I have enjoyed the most is the research and analysis element as there is always something new to learn, and conveying that information to a varied audience both written and verbally. Be it researching a holiday destinations for a client with special needs in travel, designing a business’s advertising campaign or researching and developing a holiday destination film The tsunami and September 11th broadcast, press coverage and the issues raised highlight just some of the reasons why I am pursuing a career journalism. The world though threw tragedy was united in a common goal from what we witnessed from broadcasts and press coverage and the issues raised   Journalism links our worlds together from local to international it is a platform we can share our experiences, views, news and culture I aim to become skilled journalist that can generate an interest within my readers in order that they can make informed choices and build their own views in the world in which they live I believe the freedom of the press is fundamental in freedom we as a society enjoy.
Since leaving school I have undertaken a variety of jobs largely in travel, on a day to day basis as a travel agent my main role was researching holidays for individual clients I particularly enjoyed booking families anniversary’s and weddings as they usually wanted something a little bit special or different and it really gave me something to get my teeth into, my success in travel can largely be attributed to the excellent communication and analytical skills I have developed both written and verbally listening and detailed notes from clients researching areas costs and cultures ,tailoring a holiday to their needs and conveying my findings to them in a jargon free way. The greatest job satisfaction I gained from this was not only the perks of the job such as free and cheap travel which my family, but also that in some way I gave my clients a holiday experience that would stay with them a lifetime. For which I received many cards and letters .my role within the filming furthered my interest in journalism as a project manager my main duties where to research and. accommodation ECT to appear in a tourist destination DVD of Norfolk. Working within a multi skilled team and using my knowledge and experience in travel compiled a tourist information film of over 100 different business’s including lotus cars The Hoste arms and Dowcras rock factory.  From initial contact with client to the filming schedule and content and I was responsible for who and what was included in the DVD and website .the job satisfaction I gained in this role was in knowing what we featured not only gave the viewer clear understanding of what they could expect and enjoy whilst visiting the area but also the positive affect it had on promoting smaller lesser know attractions like Peter Cousins of Walpole water gardens has, as a direct result of our feature now been given a slot on gardeners world..

I have chosen this university course in particular because firstly it is close to home and convenient and also the course is offered to people like myself with no formal a qualifications who would like to pursue a career in journalism .As a mature student and lone parent skills I have acquired and will utilise in my studies include self motivation, excellent time management and conscientious approach to my work. Relevant work skills I will use, include those already mentioned and also the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, analysis and collation of complex data and literate and competent in a variety of software packages the ability to work as an individual and as part of a multiskilled team .I am computer litarate and can manage a wide variety of software .and will prove to be if accepted a working  hard working individual .
im the author and havnt put my id on this one kathleen leach any replies you can send to me greatly appreciated
I wouldn't use any cliches ('get my teeth into') and you might want to check your spelling also ('computer litarate').

As well, I wouldn't say that you wanted the course because it was close to home. It makes it sound like you're just picking that Uni cos it's near you, which won't impress.