Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desperate - Comments needed on my PS
Please could you give me your comments/criticism on my personal statement! (applying as a mature student)

By learning you will teach; by teaching you will understand - Latin Proverb
There are numerous reasons why I want to become a teacher the main one being that I believe that teachers have an important influence on children’s learning. By being a primary school teacher you are directly connected to children everyday throughout the school year and by being a good role model and through positive reinforcement I feel I could have a direct effect on the children.
I have a love of children and this has been further reinforced since having my own child last year. I thrive on the way a child develops and can learn so much with the balance of encouragement and positive interaction and the rewards and fulfilment are so amazing that all time and effort are made worthwhile.
I believe I am very well suited to my chosen course as I am hardworking, dedicated, selfless and most importantly have a great love of children and would relish in the opportunity to gain an insight into the teaching environment.
Having my Daughter has also prepared me for this course as I believe she, like all children should have lots of enjoyment throughout the day brought on by play but I also like to set boundaries so she has a better understanding of certain aspects. I would like to develop this to bring this into the classroom.
I am currently attending a Level 3 teaching assistants course on a part time basis. This has been an ideal reintroduction to higher education. It has also given me a perspective of how the classroom environment is seen from the role of a teaching assistant. This course has also given me the opportunity to spend extra time gaining experience in primary schools thus confirming my decision that my ultimate goal is to qualify as a primary school teacher and extend not only my knowledge of teaching and learning methods but also of children and their development through education.
I have relevant experience in regards to the course which relates to my time spent voluntarily in my local Catholic primary school.
For the past two academic years I have volunteered in Nursery and also the reception class and have gained an insight into the work involved, the planning of classes and also the impact that the two have on the class. I now have first hand knowledge of what it is like to manage a classroom with a large amount of children in and be able to control them whilst enabling them to learn to their full ability. I have also learnt the great importance of being a good listener.
The experiences I had in my aforementioned schools led me to think; if I were to become a Teacher, what type of a teacher would I be? I believe I would be a creative teacher who would make lessons enjoyable and interactive whilst using the framework and curriculum as an important guide. I would abide by the rules and codes of conduct but add fun and interest so as not to loose the children’s concentration. But most importantly children of an early age should be having fun in school as I believe the early years are the most important years in school and are the stepping stones to an excellent education.
I am very enthusiastic and my enthusiasm has been supported by the experience that I have gained so far in primary schools.
I have a basic knowledge of both the Foundation and the Key Stage 1 curriculum but I wish to further this knowledge on my chosen course.
The current issues in primary teaching are also of great importance to me and I try to keep abreast of these by doing research in my own time which I know is a requirement of the course.
I am not disillusioned by hard work and understand that the course requires this and commitment and I can give 110% to this course should I be accepted
loobyloo85 Wrote:Please could you give me your comments/criticism on my personal statement! (applying as a mature student)
hi i would do a few things with it the overall content is good but it lacks a definate stucture for example try an introduction first sentance is very important i would look at stating the main reason you would like to become a teachair how your interest has developed and what your ambition is your love of children your interest in play ect
then i would back it up with your work experience you have gained and what you have learned ect i would conclude by demonstrating your dedication to your vocation by writing about the course you are attending and skills and attributes
also try not to repeat yourself you only need to say each thing once and clearley start strong and finish strong good luck write or type it out untill your happy with it then show it to your current tutor for a final opinion hope that helps