Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sociology PS
Could someone take a look at my PS please? It's all about sociology, culture and media course. I would be grateful for any comments and tips.

My name is ***Filtered***. I am tweny one year old. I settled down in Edinburgh in July 2006. I studied sociology before. I found it very interesting and I enjoyed it. It was a preparation to further my studies in Edinburgh. I wanted to gain academic experience and sociological knowledge. Last year I spent time for improving my language skills, meeting new people, getting to know other cultures and societies. I familiarized myself with Scottish history, art, customs and media.
    After one year I made decision to open a new chapter in my life in your university. I have chosen this university because it has been a standard to other schools in up-to-date teaching as well as in supportive and friendly staff. I believe that being given the opportunity to study such a combination is one of the greatest chance of self-development and learning new skills.
    Modern societies are diverse and complex. Our social and cultural world is shaped, among other things, by media, belief and tradition. There is so many new tendencies, sociological phenomena. I want to obtain a knowledge which will let me understand modern culture, political and social trends. I desire to know the origin of globalisation, creolization, anaesthetisation in wider historical perspective. In my daily life I use some research methods just for satisfaction. I make observation to see world more clearly. When I was a child I even used to carry out polls to my family. It may sound funny but it reflects my interest in sociological aspect of our life. Studying in ***Filtered*** university I had the opportunity to read books of  famous legends such as A. Giddens, E. Durkheim, Z. Bauman or B. Malinowski. I admire one of the founding fathers of sociology, Scottish philosopher Adam Ferguson. His 'Essay on the History of Civil Society' was amazing. Reading this sometimes I had an impression that he described political class. Their will to power, an instinctive desire for conflict and a susceptibility to corruption. As you could notice books are my love, thanks to them I am able to widen my knowledge and interests in history and religious studies. I am aware how belief can influence people's culture norms, the way they behave. We have many examples of this phenomenon in modern world. I also observe the media. Do they show cultural trends? Or maybe set them? I can see plenty of tabloids referred to 'mass audience', laying the way of wearing, eating, even living!
  Further interest of mine are languages. I speak English and I have the basics in German and Spanish. The level of my English language allows me to study in English speaking country. To study abroad was always my biggest dream thus I started to learn English as soon as it was possible. 'British Culture Competition' was one of the contests which brought me a diploma and prize. I am still improving my oral and written language in English. I make conversations on variety of subjects, read books and newspapers, watch television. I do it with pleasure.
   I am sure that I would cope with new conditions, new school and new people. My adaptation skills are strong. I like to work in team, cooperate with others. I am hardworking, objective and trustworthy person. Three times I have been chosen to the student council.
My participation to the students' community might be advantageous not only to me but also to other people. Giving help, will to gain knowledge and bringing a fresh point of view are my aims.
Omg, is it so hopeless? Pls Smile))