Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to wear to an interview???
The first impression is important and I wanna make it a good one but it kinda diifficult. Any1 knows what I should wear to an interview?
My mates told me that almost every1 wears suit! Is that true? It could be disaster for me 'coz I've never owned a suit.
Is there any suggestion 'bout that?
I'm assuming this is a uni interview and not a job interview. I wrote a little article on university interviews with a bit of info on what to wear.

My advice is smart but comfortable - If you've never worn a suit before don't wear one for a uni interview. Also read the letter inviting you to interview carefully, unis often give some advice on how formal the interview will be.

Back in my uni interview days I didn't wear a suit to any of my interviews and got offers from all my interviews. As a rough estimate I would say less than half of the people at my interviews wear suits. You will have to get used to wearing a suit after uni though - I wore one for all my job interviews.

Let us know how you get on at the interview - and what everyone is wearing Smile
I would go safe and wear a pair or jeans, in dark blue/black, with a really simple white t-shirt and a cute blazer. Well, that's usually how I dress when I have exams with the teacher in front of me. My teachers always said to me to go with a simple outfit, in black or grey with a touch of white.
But I think a neutral vintage tea dress, with a blazer would look cute but comfy too, as you need to be on an uni interview. Or an oversized bretton tops with a simple jeans. I think that the essential is to don't dress like you're straight up from a magazine. They usually don't like it too much.
If you are talking about a job interview I think you need to dress like you already work there.. so wear a suit if its a big corporate law firm.. but if its something more casual like retail then where something more casual.
Being a HR, The dress sense I want to see in candidates are given below.
Men and Women

1. Conservative two-piece business suit (solid dark blue or grey is best)
2. Conservative long-sleeved shirt/blouse (white is best, pastel is next best)
3.Clean, polished conservative shoes
4. Well-groomed hairstyle
5.Clean, trimmed fingernails
6.Minimal cologne or perfume
7.Empty pockets--no bulges or tinkling coins
8.No gum, candy or cigarettes
9.Light briefcase or portfolio case
10.No visible body piercing (nose rings, eyebrow rings, etc.)

Men

1.Necktie should be silk with a conservative pattern
2.Dark shoes (black lace-ups are best)
3.Dark socks (black is best)
4.Get a haircut; short hair always fares best in interviews
5.No beards (unless you are interviewing for a job as a lumberjack!)
6.Mustaches are a possible negative, but if you must, make sure it is neat & trimmed
7.No rings other than wedding ring or college ring
8.No earrings (if you normally wear one, take it out)

Women

1.Always wear a suit with a jacket; no dresses
2.Shoes with conservative heels
3.Conservative hosiery at or near skin color (and no runs!)
4.No purses, small or large; carry a briefcase instead
5.If you wear nail polish (not required), use clear or a conservative color
6.Minimal use of makeup (it should not be too noticeable)
7.No more than one ring on each hand
8.One set of earrings only
Thanks.
These days, I always wear jeans and a long-sleeved, collared shirt (usually black). No one has ever made any comment about my dress, and my clothes are usually equivalent to whatever the interviewers are wearing. Casual attire helps me relax and feel more confidant during the interview.
A two-piece suit is always the best choice and security. Do not combine a suit jacket with pants that do not match. Keep it conservative. Trend toward darker colors.
While going for an interview, you should keep some thing in your mind, always dressed well or dressed like a professional while going to an interview, and always ensure all your details in your resume.
Wear long sleeves shirt . Then go for nice trousers. Prefer earthy colors, white and black. Avoid to much bright colors. Have a bag which gives a professional look. clean and polished shoes. This all will give you a professional look.
Should be a solid color. Avoid dressing provocative. Be your garment contrasts well with your outfit. Avoid heavily laced or ruffled items. Consider cotton or silk.