Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please give comments!!!!!!
Hiya everone, Im applying for a course of Social Sciences, and any feedback is much apreciated...
Thanks!!

My interest in Economics was first sparked by charity work that I did during Form IV (Year 11). I was involved for a tow month period in Operation Christmas Child, a campaign run by Samaritan’s Purse to collect shoeboxes filled with small gifts which are give to children in Eastern Europe and parts of Africa. I worked with a team of 10, promoting the campaign, collecting and sorting the boxes and packing them on to lorries in the organisation’s warehouse. I did some research into this charity, and discovered the work of the Fairtrade Foundation, an organisation that has really captured my attention and I hope in future to work professionally with. Learning about ethical issues concerning world economies and the need for charity organisations has encouraged me to select Economics as a subject for Leaving Certificate, and I would like to continue, and widen, my studies at a college level through a course of Social Sciences.

Topics I have particularly enjoyed while studying this subject include ‘The Economies of Developing countries’ and ‘Economic Development and Growth’ as they deal with issues that I am eager to become involved with when I finish my degree. I read ‘The Economist’ on a regular basis and enjoy its up to date articles on world affairs. I am studying Business for Leaving Certificate as well, and believe that the skills I have acquired learning about this subject enhance my understanding of Economics. I have found the topic ‘Social and Ethical Responsibilities of Business’ and eye-opener, as it shows businesses are open to change and accept they have ethical responsibilities.

I have taken opportunities at school to broaden my education in areas other then the academic. I have played on the school basketball team for five years and this has developed my people skills and taught me the value of teamwork. I also enjoy working on my own in Art and Photography. I have won prizes in school for my work in both of these and am secretary of the Photography club. My concern for others and my leadership skills have been enhanced and developed by being a prep supervisor for the younger girls in school and by volunteering to tutor junior pupils in Mathematics. I have also been involved in raising money for charity organisations, such as the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, Aware (an Irish charity against depression), and Amnesty International.

I have enjoyed the opportunities to learn about Economics and to involve myself in charity work at school. These, coupled with the opportunities to become a more rounded individual have motivated me to study a degree of Social Sciences at University, so that I can prepare myself to work with Fairtrade as a professional.