Student Discussion
History/politics/gaelic studies HELP! - Printable Version

+- Student Discussion (https://www.studentdiscussion.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Applying to university (https://www.studentdiscussion.co.uk/forum-24.html)
+--- Forum: UCAS Forms & Personal Statements (https://www.studentdiscussion.co.uk/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: History/politics/gaelic studies HELP! (/thread-8245.html)

History/politics/gaelic studies HELP! - Guest - 06/03/2007

I have only recently decided to postpone my gap year and apply to university now. Because my application is late I need a really good personal statement so heres my first draft, any suggestions much appreciated! ThanksSmile

Our understanding and interpretation of the past has a profuse affect on the opinions we will adopt and the people we will become. My passion for history was sparked by current affairs and the connection they hold with the past. This strong intrigue was developed in high school which I first began studying the subject. I very much enjoyed researching topics for myself and developing an insight into how politics have affected different historical events and the impact which it has had on the modern world. During my time at school I have had the opportunity to take part in a mock election, attend several seminars on a number of topics and have enjoyed trips to many historical sites. Through personal experience, I have had first hand experience of many aspects of the Scottish culture and was captivated by there reciprocal relatedness, which has encouraged the development of a specific interest in both the political and cultural development of Scotland, and how they are affected by Scotland’s diverse heritage.
Through other aspects of the school curriculum, I have enjoyed studying Scottish literature in particular Grassic Gibbon novels, which focus largely on Scottish culture and agriculture. In addition to this I have grown up with a military background, which has incorporated a strong sense of each of these things and has had a profoundly effected my own outlook. Pending successful acceptance and completion of the course, my aim is to pursue a career in teaching.
    In addition to attending school I have held part time jobs as a hairdressing assistant, a waitress and in retail, each of which I have thoroughly enjoyed. They have allowed me to improve my communication and interpersonal skills as each job is largely based around liasing with customers and superiors. I am been punctual, responsible and willing to carry out extra work when necessary. This has given me the opportunity to work on my own and as part of a team. At the moment I am working less to focus on my studies.
In school, I am part of both the yearbook and the residential committees, which has given me extra responsibility and has required the use of my organisational and communication skills. I have also been involved in school fundraising activities such as coffee mornings.
    Outside of school I enjoy taking part in various activities including Pilates, craftwork and cooking. In my spare time I enjoy travel and often take weekend trips with my family, often involving visits to different areas of historical significance and monuments.
    After university I hope to take a gap year before beginning work. I am particularly looking forward to meeting new people and experiencing new cultures, hopefully gaining some life experience on the way and expanding my outlook.